Twelve Things Every Teen Girl Needs in Her Closet
The chambray or denim shirt is number 2 on our list of twelve closet essentials. This is more than just an ordinary button down shirt. This item is a closet superstar and does more than you’d expect. That’s why we feel everyone should have one!
Here’s the why and how:
- This shirt works well worn open over a tank or tee shirt for a layering piece, or when you need something lighter than a sweater to toss on.
- Chambray looks great over a printed top or dress because of the contrast in textures.
- Knot it! Yup! Knot your shirt at the waist over a skater skirt, cropped pants, or shorts.
- Nothing looks better layered over Twelve Things piece number 1, the simple white tee.
- Wear it open over a maxi dress with spaghetti straps.
- Wear it untucked over black or gray jeans.
- Double denim? Yes! Button it up and tuck it into skinny jeans with any wash(especially slim, cropped jeans.)
- Headed for vacation? Chambray looks super cool over a bikini and makes the perfect cover up for cold airplanes.
All chambray isn’t the same. How to choose the right one for you:
1. This Crewcuts by JCrew is our pick for tweens who aren’t in juniors sizes yet. We love the western style pockets and this medium wash looks great with dark skinny jeans and everything else.
2. If you like lighter bleached washes, you’ll have no trouble finding a shirt, either. This wash looks really good with black clothing.
3. A fitted, feminine style done in a darker wash. See how it tapers in the waist a bit? Try this wash with khaki or white shorts.
4. Our favorite chambray shirt is from JCrew. If you want to invest in one that will last, it’s worth the splurge. They are usually around $80, but you can find them on sale. This shirt is available all year long and always in stock. It’s a classic and will last you through high school and into college.
Already have one? Tell us your favorite ways to wear it!