Teens, if it’s time to add another pair of jeans to your wardrobe, here’s a new trend to think about: the uneven hem. That’s right! Check out the jeans in our preview shot. The back is a couple of inches longer than the front. And the edges have been left raw and frayed.
We love (and have already bought) jeans with wonky, frayed hems. We feel this trend is not only a winner now, but will stick around for a few seasons.
Most of the jeans we’ve seen with uneven hems come in a cropped, straight-leg style. Some even have a slightly higher rise than typical skinny or boyfriends jeans.
If you’d like to try this trend, have a look at our mood board for some options. Many of the uneven hem jeans we’ve seen are quite pricey. But I was wandering around in Target the other day and saw an amazing copy of the high end premium denim brands for a bargain. Here are some more choices:
1. We tracked down jeans in a similar color and wash to the pair in our preview shot. These Noisy May brand jeans from Asos hit all of our style marks. And they’re a steal at $50!
2. Take the uneven denim trend up another notch by choosing a pair with two-toned panels. These H&M beauties are only $60, too.
3. If you’re not quite sold on the uneven hem look, but like the edgy frayed hem, try this cropped, black pair from Topshop.
4. So, here’s our splurge. If you’d like to invest in a premium denim brand and maybe have some birthday money to use, we recommend this bleached pair from True Religion. Premium, yes, but still not as much of an investment as some of the jeans we’ve seen nearly topping $300. Ouch.
How to style these jeans:
Because they are sightly cropped, we like them best with ballet flats, gladiator sandals, street sneakers, or an ankle boot. These aren’t the best jeans to tuck into tall boots because of the wide hem.
- For casual days, pair with a sneaker, simple tee, and a hoodie
- If you’re in a cooler climate, these will absolutely work for fall. Pair with a cozy jacket, chunky scarf, and an ankle bootie.
- Get invited to a special party? Dress these up with a caged heel or bootie, a thin sweater, or a tank worn under a long cardigan. Add a statement necklace.
- Summer too? Sure! We wore these all summer with gladiator sandals and a thin white tee. That’s all you need!